A storm typically ushers in flooding in affected areas. It is important to know what to do if you find yourself in the middle of a scary situation like driving through a flash flood or getting trapped in a home with rising flood waters. Here are some ways to help you survive a flood at home:
- If you find yourself stranded inside your home during a flood, don’t panic. Assuming you have prepared for a hurricane and stockpiled on non-perishable food, clean water, and the necessary supplies, then all you need to do is get to higher ground and sit it out until the water subsides.
- Preserve a whistle and a working flashlight with you to alert rescuers.
- If you live in a high-risk area such as near a river, levee, or a dam, then owning an inflatable boat is an excellent idea. Prepare it for use in case flood water rises to dangerous levels.
- Most areas that encounter occasional flooding have established emergency evacuation plans and systems. Always follow it for safety. Don’t ignore warnings that call for an automatic mass evacuation. The earlier you leave the area, the better.
- Stay on the 2nd floor of your home. You may also ask your neighbors to accommodate you in case flood waters rise.